Monday, January 5, 2009

First of many

I've made this blog partly because I'm supposed to keep a journal for my senior thesis project this semester, and because I think this would be a good way to keep it someplace I won't necessarily lose it.

I'm going to be stage managing the play The Madwoman of Chaillot by Jean Giraudoux. I'm really looking forward to it. From the moment I first was given my copy by the director I felt a sense of excitement because I'm going to venturing into a world I unknown. I have been an assistant stage manager before, but never the big one in charge; a stage manager. Plus, the play is a really interesting piece.

My first job as a stage manager was to create my prompt book for myself and the director. He had a very specific format he wanted it in that caused me to come up with an interesting tactic to do it. He wanted the script page in the middle of a regular sized page and with lots of space all around it. I traced the size of the script and cut out out of the middle of a regular sized paper, and then I taped that down to the scanner and placed the pages in that hole to get it to end up satisfactory(or so I hope). This is probably really boring information, but it was part of my creative process to complete my task at hand. I managed to scan all 63 pages in a couple hours. Long process but got the prompt book to my director within 24 hours of receiving my script.

I haven't had to do anything stage management related since last semester when I received my script, but now it'll be full swing. I would've gone to a production meeting last semester before our christmas break but I couldn't make it due to class. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the director because we have to start getting audition information out because auditions are next week. It snuck up on us both. (I have already been shameless promoting in basically everything I do. I'm pretty sure I told everyone in the musical I was part of last semester to try out.) I'm excited to see what this audition process will be like from this angle. I've auditioned for the director before, but I'm sure this will have completely different feel to it.

Well, I won't go on and on anymore. I'll try to keep postings in this everytime I do something stage management related. That's a hefty deal to make, but it's a part of a grade for me so it is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment